24 Hour Comics Day is an annual event where cartoonists try to create 24 pages of comics in 24 hours. It began as a dare between American cartoonists Scott McCloud and Stephen R. Bissette in 1990, and now takes place in countries all over the world. Dublin has had a 24 Hour Comics Day event since 2006; the first Belfast event took place in 2008.
There were two 24 Hour Comics Day events, both on 9/10 October 2010, one in the Central Hotel, Dublin, run by Cliodhna Lyons and Kyle Rogers (the October Anthology was published in conjunction with the event), and one at Catalyst Arts, Belfast, run by Mark de Conink, Andrew Luke and Patrick Brown.
- Underground by Cliodhna Lyons
- Boom! by James Newell
- Misadventures of a Modern Messiah by Kyle Rogers
- Tales of the Day by Stephen Downey
- Don't Get Lost by Andrew Luke
- Ireland: A History (Condensed) by Fionnuala Doran
- Rise at Sundown by Patrick Brown
- Shmoo by Glenn Davidson and Ann Harrison
The 2009 event took place on Saturday 17 - Sunday 18 October at the Central Hotel, Exchequer Street, Dublin, organised by Cliodhna Lyons. As well as hosting the 24 Hour Comic marathon (starting at 1pm on the Saturday), the event had been expanded, in conjunction with Children's Books Ireland and the Kyoto International Manga Museum to include activities for children. The 24 Anthology was published in conjunction with the event.
- 11:30-12:30 – a giant comic jam where young participants (7 and under) can collectively create one huge comic
- 12:30 – 1:30 – a pop-up book workshop (6 and over) with Maeve Clancy
- 2:00 – 3:00 – a make-your-own-mini-comic workshop (for 8-12s) with Bridgeen Gillespie and Phil Barrett
- 3:00 – 4:00 – a workshop with manga artist Tsuyoshi Ogawa (pre-teens, under 10s need to be accompanied by an adult)
- 4:00 – 5:00 – the same for teens and up
- 5:30 – 6:30 – a workshop on creating monsters with children’s illustrator Sarah McIntyre (all ages)
At 7pm there was a panel discussion, hosted by Craig O’Connor and Liam Geraghty of The Comic Cast, with panelists Patrick Brown, Philip Barrett and Hilary Lawler, on self-publishing in print and on the web.
As part of the event a 52 page anthology was published featuring artwork from local artists as well as artists from the UK, Spain, Japan and Australia. The theme for the anthology was the number 24 as such the anthology is known as the 24 anthology.
- The Dangerous Voyagers by Bob Byrne
- After the End by Patrick Brown
- Tales from Ideaspace by Kyle Rogers
There were two 24 Hour Comics events in Ireland in 2008, one in Dublin and one in Belfast, both on 18/19 October, with the two events linked by webcam.
The Dublin event, organised by Cliodhna Lyons, was held in the Central Hotel. The Comic Cast did a special podcast featuring interviews with several of the participants.
- The Hunting Party by Sebastian Pertl
- Random Acts of Violence by Ronan Kennedy
- I Must Not See Her by Hilary Lawler
- Antics of the Local Postman by Eoin Marron
- The Adventures of Man-Man by Brian Burke
- Boxes by David Keeling
- Random Re-action Comic by Deirdre de Barra
- Monster Squad: Face-Off! by Kyle Rogers
- Something by Patrick Brown
- Shaving is Still a Bastard by Michael McNulty
- Corgi by Fionnuala Doran
- The Four Seasons by Andrew Croskery
- Neoplasia by Jonny Shields
- Belfast, Now by Jonny Shields
- Secret by Richard Davis
The 2007 Irish 24 Hour Comics Day event was held on 20-21 October in the Central Hotel, and was organised by Cliodhna Lyons.
- The Art of Cake Diving by Cliodhna Lyons
- Not for all the tea in China by Kyle Rogers
- Disco Queen by Paul Byrne
- Mr. Fish by Patrick Lynch
- Untitled by Luke Fallon
- The Wyrm by Miss Ninja
- The Night Out by Brendan Harty
- That Time Again by Katie Blackwood
- 2mm Bridge by Ronan Kennedy
- Untitled by Bob Byrne
Comics created by Irish creators at other events:
The first Irish 24 Hour Comics Day event was organised by Cliodhna Lyons and held on 7-8 October 2006 at the Central Hotel, Dublin.
- He Aint Heavy (There's No Gravity) by Triona
- The French (dis)Connection by Kyle Rogers
- If you want breakfast in bed sleep in the kitchen by Cliodhna Lyons
- Monkey/Zero Men by Murra Macrory
- Stock Car Ninja by Bob Byrne
- The Way it Should Have Been by Stephen Walker
- 24 Hour Comics Day international website
- Irish 24 Hour Comics Day
- Irish 24 Hour Comics at ComicSpace
- Belfast 24 Hour Comics Day 2008 at Catalyst Arts
- Belfast 24 Hour Comics Day at ComicSpace
- "The Dare" at ScottMcCloud.com