Declan Shalvey is a comics artist from Ennis, County Clare, currently (2013) drawing Venom for Marvel in the USA. He is a member of the Eclectic Micks sketchblog, and is based in Dublin.
He was born in Dublin on 11 April 1982), grew up in Ennis, and gained a BA in Fine Art at Limerick School of Art and Design. He started in the small press with Hero Killers (Moonface Press, 2006) with writer Andy Winter, which won the 2006 Eagle Award for "Favourite British Black and White Comicbook". He drew covers for two more of Winter's comics, Septic Isle and Blood Psi, as well as the British anthology FutureQuake, and illustrated Volume 2 of Rob Curley's crime/Americana comic Freakshow (2007-09), including a short Freakshow story which appeared in the small press section of the Judge Dredd Megazine.
He created and self-published the anthology Your Round (2007), the first issue of which, "Tequila", also features work by Bob Byrne and James Hodgkins. His work also appeared in The Shiznit and the Irish language anthology Rí-Rá. In 2008 he illustrated Classical Comics' graphic novel adaptation of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, scripted by Jason Cobley, and teamed up again with Andy Winter for the colour one-shot Tim Skinner: Total Scumbag, parodying a selection of popular comics characters.
He moved into American comics in 2009, drawing ten of the first twelve issues of Boom! Studios film spin-off comic 28 Days Later. In September 2010 he did his first work for Marvel, a two-part fill-in on Thunderbolts. This led to a semi-regular slot on Thunderbolts, alternating with Kev Walker and others, until July 2012. He also drew a Captain America and Crossbones one-shot (2011) and issues of Fear Itself (2011) and Dark Avengers (2012) for Marvel, a story arc of DC/Vertigo's Northlanders (2011-12) and Conan the Barbarian stories for Dark Horse Comics, before getting a regular series in Marvel's Venom in 2013.
- Fractured Visions, video documentary by Craig Smith, including the 2D Comics Festival, Bridgeen Gillespie, Malachy Coney, Declan Shalvey and David Lloyd
- Live Panel on web and small press comics, The Comic Cast, 20 October 2009
- Interview on Frankenstein at Forbidden Planet (24 September 2008)
- At IndieReview, 9 August 2008)
- On Hero Killers, with Andy Winter, at Jazma Online (23 December 2006)
- On Hero Killers, with Andy Winter, at Comics Bulletin (12 December 2006)
- Interviewed on www.comicrelated.com with Irish based site reviewer and interviewer David O'Leary
- Interview about 28 Days Later at Newsarama
- Marvel: Introducing Declan Shalvey, 2 July 2010
- Quick Questions With, Irish Comic News, 29 June 2011